Please note that, due to high demand, I am no longer taking on new clients at this time. If you’re an existing client and would like to hire my services again, please be sure to contact me as far in advance as possible. Thank you, and I apologise for any inconvenience.
Publishing is tough. Self-publishing is tougher still. Whether you’re an experienced pro or an aspiring debutante, you deserve huge respect for deciding to forge your own path. Equally, you deserve access to affordable, quality editing services that can prevent tiny problems within your manuscript from becoming big obstacles between you and your goal. This is what I’m here for.
Services & rates
Here’s a basic rundown of the services I can provide. Please see below for further details and contact information.
Proofreading only. I will provide a single, line by line read through of your manuscript to find and correct typos, misspellings, missing words, missing punctuation, and obvious continuity or format errors (misaligned paragraphs, line indents, font changes, and similar.)
Price for proofreading: £0.0035 per word (e.g. a manuscript of 80,000 words = £280)
For clean manuscripts which are structurally and developmentally sound/almost ready for publication. In addition to the above, I will also do the following:
- Check that your work is consistent throughout, both in style and content.
- Check that your text is clear and readable, and suggest amendments if necessary.
- Check that names of people and things are used appropriately.
- Flag any overused words or actions.
- Suggest revisions in dialogue, sentence and paragraph structure to improve the flow of your story.
Price for copy editing: £0.005 per word (e.g. a manuscript of 80,000 words = £400)
I have a thorough understanding of the English language, supported by a First-class honours degree in English Literature. In addition to a distinction-level master’s degree in the same subject, I also hold a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and have experience working as a qualified teacher of English at KS3, GCSE and A-level.
Which is all very well, but doesn’t tell you very much about me. Here are a few more things you might like to know to help you decide whether or not we might be compatible.
- Substantial and up-to-date knowledge of the speculative fiction genre
- Published several non-fiction articles on Tor.com
- Successfully self-published my own novelette, Danse Macabre
- Spent years actively engaging with the fantasy writing community
- Enthusiastically participated in initiatives such as the SPFBO and ShoreIndie contests
- Regularly promoted and contributed to Fantasy-Faction, where I held the position of Assistant Editor in 2017
- Founded The Fantasy Hive, of which I’m currently editor-in-chief
I hope you’ll agree that my genre knowledge, writing experience and academic qualifications place me in an excellent position to help you out.
Here’s a few more things you might like to know:
- I’ll edit speculative fiction manuscripts of any length
- All changes will be made in Word using the ‘track changes’ feature
- All comments will be added in Word using the ‘comments’ feature
- 50% payment will be taken upfront upon signing the contract
- Remaining payment will be due immediately upon completion, and will be taken via Paypal
Professional, witty, incisive and punctual, Laura is not only a delight to work with but a real boon to my writing.
– Phil Tucker
Incredible attention to detail and sense for the author’s style. Wonderful to work with. I’d recommend Laura to anyone and everyone!– Dyrk Ashton
I had the opportunity to work with Laura when she proofread a proposal for me and was delighted with her feedback. She didn’t waste my time with inconsequential notes but quickly grasped both the voice and the style I wanted to convey for this particular storyline. Her notes helped me cultivate a much stronger manuscript prior to submission, and I would most certainly trust her proofreading skills and professionalism for future works.– Teresa Frohock
I’ve worked with Laura on numerous occasions when producing articles and features for Fantasy Faction, and my own site. Her eye for detail is only trumped by her inventiveness and enthusiasm. Prompt, precise, and a pleasure to deal with!– Michael Everest
I may be early into my writing career, but I’ve already worked with several editors, and if I have my way, I’ll only be working with Laura from here on out. Professional, precise and punctual, she’s the real deal whether you’re looking for a proof or a deep and insightful examination of your manuscript. Highly recommended.– Steven Kelliher